Friday, May 9, 2014

Note to self:

Write more.

I have been an avid reader my whole life. My mom jokes that she never could keep me in books because I would go through them so quickly. Granted there are times when I won't pick up a novel for months. MONTHS! If I'm not feeling it, I won't read it. I can't tell you how many times I have had to go back to a book and start all over again because the first time around didn't click. I think this same pattern has been occurring with my writing. 

I have always written, but I became a lot more involved with it during my years in college. I finally decided to pursue a minor in creative writing concentrating in poetry. It is one of the best decisions I ever made. 

I love words. I love strings of words that sound like a song when they are read aloud. My books are usually dog-eared and marked up. I underline the portions that speak to me something magical. I guess when the right piece of writing, like a song, comes along it lights me on fire. I feel that much more alive when I read something someone else has written that I can relate to. This is the exact reason why I choose to write and (sometimes) share what I write. I want to give that same alive feeling to other people. I want to be that hand they feel holding theirs when they need it most. I want them to feel like I am their best friend because I understand them in a way they thought nobody ever could. This concept was first introduced to me by none other than J.D. Salinger himself. Not everyone is a fan of The Catcher in the Rye, but I was that student that loved required reading and I kinda sorta fell in love with Holden Caulfield. I like them complicated.

In the novel, Holden says, "What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it." 

Wouldn't it be nice?

I want to be this for someone else. I want to empower and encourage people with my words. I want them to feel they have a safe place they can turn to just by skimming things I have written. This just might be one of the biggest dreams I have.

So, I'm making it a point to write more. I haven't done much over the past couple of years, but I'm beginning to again and it feels really good. Maybe I'll even post some on here someday. Who knows.

Until next time,

Amelia 

No comments:

Post a Comment