Thursday, May 29, 2014

Style Crush: Penny Lane

I have watched Almost Famous more times than I can remember. I absolutely love this film. Cameron Crowe was inspired by his own music journalism experiences when he wrote the movie. So many people feel connected to this movie, to the characters, to the story... and for good reason. I know many people my age wish we had been born during the era of Dylan, Zeppelin, Bowie, and all of the other classic artists we obsess over to this day. We have greatly romanticized this era in music history. However, this particular film uncovers the dark side to an industry that has been made to seem glamorous. It conveys egoism, heart ache, and betrayal. On the other hand, this film does a fantastic job showing the vulnerability of the characters. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for William, particularly because of how much he loves Penny Lane. And who wouldn't love this girl? She is free spirited, fun loving, and stylish. Her fragility is evident throughout the movie, and even when she breaks down, she remains as ethereal as ever. 

Fierce Female.


I went through a particularly bohemian phase in college. As you do. I was drifting about, much like our girl Penny, without a care in the world. My style was very much influenced by the music I was listening to at that time. Working at Goodwill also allowed me to find some weird little gems. 

Notice the moccasins.

I have had this army jacket for-ev-er and a day. Technically since May 2010.
I found it in the vintage section of Cactus Flower in Bloomington. 
I still wear it. Like, all the time.

I don't know where those glasses are anymore.

So many things in my life have changed over the past few years. I have lived in different places, made new friends, met some really interesting people, and have gone through other style phases. However, my free spirited nature will always remain evident in the way I dress and the way I live my life. Just like Penny, I have gone through and will continue to go through changes. 
But some things will never change. 


"I always tell the girls, never take it seriously. 
If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt. 
You never get hurt, you always have fun. 
And if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends." 

See you at the record store,

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment