Wednesday, May 28, 2014

WCW: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Let me preface this post by saying I identify as a feminist.

If you read that sentence and immediately wanted to roll your eyes and leave this blog, go ahead. I have no time for people who refuse to listen. Feminism is an incredibly complex topic that still requires lengthy discussions and descriptions. I personally cannot understand what the confusion is about because feminism, put simply, is the belief that ALL people are equal. No one should be more powerful or have more advantage than the anyone else. However, I have found that many people believe we are already equal and that I should just shut up. Yeah, that's not going to happen. I could go on and on and on about how inequality is alive and well in the world. I am referring to inequality in every sense. Racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. are happening everywhere, every single day. If you research these issues, there's enough information to keep you occupied for months.

I understand this is a heavy topic. Many people don't want to bother with it. The people who think it has nothing to do with them are the same people that have a lot of privilege in this world. You are lucky enough that our society doesn't oppress you. I know how privileged I am and I'm taking that knowledge and running with it to help other people who are not. I can't sit by and pretend there aren't problems. I know I can't fix everything, but I have a voice and a brain and I'm going to use them to help in every way I can. Equality should not be something that has to be fought for, but unfortunately that's the way it is right now. But that doesn't mean it has to stay this way.

I know now that I have been a feminist since the day I was born. I was raised around the strongest women. I learned about all of the tribulations they went through and it occurred to me that if they can go through all of that, then I can get through anything. I was blessed with a family that encouraged me and reminded me that I am capable of anything. My mother and grandmothers instilled an independence and strength in me. They also instilled understanding, gentleness, and kindness. I watched how they took care of themselves while taking care of others. I learned that loving and accepting people unconditionally is true strength. I am so grateful to them for that. I am also grateful that I have been exposed to what feminism is and what it means.


Now for my WCW.

This is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and she is phenomenal.




Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie did a Ted Talk last year. I remember scrolling through YouTube and finding that video. I clicked the link excitedly, anticipating what this woman was going to say. I was stunned and mesmerized by her.



Chimamanda is incredibly inspiring. She is a gifted writer and quite obviously an eloquent speaker. Do yourself a favor and watch this video in it's entirety. She has so many intelligent and insightful things to say. She also has quite a sense of humor. I'm dedicating this post to her because she makes me feel proud. I'm proud of being a woman and of my femininity. I'm proud of other women. I'm proud of the men who treat women equally. I'm proud of people who are brave enough to say what they think and share how they feel. I feel like a mama lion right now. That's how proud I am.

(Side note: This is the video that Beyonce sampled in her song "***Flawless". The term "feminism" is seldom used in mass media, but she included it in a popular song so now it has more exposure. Good job, Bey.)

I'll leave you with this quote:

"I just write. I have to write. I like to say that I didn't choose writing, writing chose me. This may sound slightly mythical, but I sometimes feel as if my writing is something bigger than I am." 

I feel you on that, Chimamanda. I really do.

Until next time,

Amelia

No comments:

Post a Comment