Monday, July 7, 2014

A list of very good things




If you know me at all, then you know how much I love the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's. In all honesty, I have yet to read Capote's novel, but I plan to do so very soon. After all, he created the term "mean reds" to describe anxiety and I really wish I could thank him for that. Holly Golightly finds peace of mind while gazing into the store windows of Tiffany's. The funny thing is I found my own peace of mind a few years ago while watching this film over and over again when I was dealing with a particularly bad spell of my anxiety. Hepburn's indistinguishable and eloquent dialect, the 60s fashion, the soft tones of old color film... they all brought comfort to me when I needed it most. It was almost 2 hours of an escape from my own mind. Every now and then I suffer from a case of the blues. Sometimes still even a case of the mean reds. When I feel a gloomy little cloud begin to creep over me, I have to remind myself of things that bring simple and pure joy. Along with Breakfast at Tiffany's, I am lucky enough to find solace in a multitude of things.

I would like to share some of them because I like to write lists and also I hope it helps someone realize their own little moments of happiness when they are in a blue mood. So, here is a list of very good things:

sunflowers, Wes Anderson movies, pretty much every animal ever, finding an old record in great condition at a thrift store, fresh watermelon, a book you just can't put down, rainy days, receiving letters in the mail, a hot cup of coffee and a crisp newspaper, the smell of lavender and lemons, sketchbooks, dirty hands, gardens and farms, old sweaters, riding a bicycle, starry skies, driving around aimlessly, illustrated children's books, a clean apartment, reorganizing a cabinet or a drawer, ice cream, stumbling across a piece of writing that really hits you, clean laundry, when my hair cooperates, massive blankets, staying in a hotel, looking through old photos, cheesecake, rummage sales, notes left under a wind shield wiper, glitter, a good rock show, making someone laugh, movies about witches and magic powers, a quality pen, a good night's sleep.





Honestly, if all else fails, give Tiffany's a try. I was recently in a Tiffany's store (long story) in downtown Chicago and it does have a quietness about it that can really calm you down. That is, if you are able to be calm while surrounded by millions of dollars worth of diamonds. You know, ordinary day.

Until next time,
Amelia



No comments:

Post a Comment