Sunday, July 27, 2014

Vintage Makeup

If you couldn't already tell, I'm kind of on a vintage binge. I have watched Lisa Eldridge's makeup tutorials for ages because she's a true blue professional. I stumbled upon a segment on her channel about vintage makeup that she put together quite some time ago. She has a fantastic collection of vintage makeup which you can see in the video below. 

 

It's fun to try new products and all of that, particularly in this day and age when we are used to excess and "more is more". However, I find a pared down makeup collection incredibly endearing. I admire anyone who has simplified their routine to only what they truly love and use each day. You see that a lot with vintage makeup, particularly in eras of war or modesty. There were literally makeup rations during the second World War. Also, the packaging of vintage products is to die for. It's a lot more rare to come across beautiful packaging like that anymore, especially the powder compacts in the 1950s. Check out the two videos below for some serious makeup history education. I practically squealed over the makeup shown from the 1960s.




On the note of Old Hollywood influences in the beauty industry, here are a lot of pictures I've found of famous Hollywood starlets primping. It reminds me a bit of the pictures you see in tabloids like, "Stars: They're just like us!" Of course they are... because they are humans. And there is something charming and intimate about seeing someone in their beauty routine.








This is my favorite. Francoise applying her makeup in a car mirror in Paris.


You know I honestly had this idea in my head that I was going to someday create my own makeup line. I began researching vintage packaging and came across all sorts of concepts I would like to utilize, but I don't know if it will ever happen. It's simply a dream. But if it ever does come true, expect a lot of quality packaging and the best eyeliner the world has ever seen.

Until next time,
Amelia




No comments:

Post a Comment