I know everyone always says this, but how has another year passed us so quickly? It's safe to say that everything in my life is completely different than it was this time last year. I still vividly remember last New Year's Eve and thinking to myself, "This year will be a good year." Well, I have had some downs along with my ups, but all in all, I've learned a lot. And with 2016 approaching in only a few weeks, I thought I would reflect and write to myself about all of these lessons. In no particular order:
1. You are more than capable of going after the things you want. Even on your saddest nights, you still have a fire inside of you encouraging you to pursue your dreams. You often doubt yourself, but something is still pushing you. Just keep going. Keep surprising yourself.
2. Speaking of surprises, allow others to surprise you. Do not hold expectations and let things unfold as they should. Appreciate the moments you have with the people you encounter. You never know what you might learn.
3. Forgiveness is the greatest gift you can give, especially to yourself.
4. You are not obligated to spend time with people who drain your energy or make you feel bad about yourself. It is possible to care about them from a distance.
5. There are no limitations to femininity. You can be both strong and soft. You can enjoy being outdoors and buying makeup. You can like The Godfather and The Notebook. Never, ever let a guy define nor limit your femininity. You are a badass goddess and don't you forget it.
6. True love is still a huge question mark in your brain...and that's okay. You know what it used to feel like. The goal is to wait for what it can feel like now. (Hint: It shouldn't break your heart.)
7. Being kind will always be more important than being right.
8. You can think you know exactly what you want, but what you want can change. This is normal. Don't beat yourself up about it. Just be honest about your feelings and things will shake out.
9. Taking long walks while listening to music is the best therapy of all time.
10. Not everyone is going to hurt you. Don't be afraid to seek solace in others. Keep opening up and letting people in. Deep down you know it will be worth it.
11. Submitting your writing to be published was a huge accomplishment. Not only because it was actually published, but because you were brave enough to submit it in the first place. Be proud of yourself for sharing your words.
12. Whatever you do, whether it results in laughter or tears, that makes you feel alive... keep doing it.
13. Never say never. You did karaoke this year. Whatever next?
14. You may be a work in progress, but you are also a damn masterpiece in your own right. Do not be ashamed of the mistakes you have or will make. You are still worthy of love and acceptance.
15. Don't be so hard on yourself.